As medical technology continues to increase our ability to diagnose and treat many complex medical conditions, patients are increasingly opting to go the way of interventional radiology for the treatment of many chronic diseases and health conditions. This relatively new and dynamic medical field utilizes minimally invasive techniques that are often an effective alternative to traditional inpatient surgery. Interventional radiology procedures are usually performed under local anesthesia with some form of imaging guidance by a surgical specialist or interventional radiologist.
Dupont Hospital offers a Interventional Radiology Suite specializing in interventional radiology services. The area features one procedure suite and a four-bed pre- and post-procedure area.
What types of interventional radiology can be done at Dupont Hospital?
The Interventional Radiology Suite is equipped to handle a variety of diagnostic and interventional procedures with state-of-the-art equipment that features a Philips Allura FD-20 machine. Experienced physicians perform arteriograms, venograms, fistulagrams, fistula declots, vertebroplasties, epidural injections, angioplasty, stent and many other non-cardiac procedures with this equipment.
Experience the Dupont Difference in the Interventional Radiology Suite
While most interventional radiology procedures are done on an outpatient basis, they sometimes require up to a 23-hour hospital stay. Dupont Hospital guests (patients) can enjoy the convenience of close proximity to the interventional radiology suite. Registration, finalizing lab work, preparing for the procedure and recovering all take place in the same comfortable room just steps away from the procedure room. As is customary with all Dupont Hospital guests, interventional radiology guests have a private room with full access to 24-hour room service.
In addition to a quiet, comforting environment, the Interventional Radiology area at Dupont Hospital offers patients the services of a professional and experienced medical staff. The same physicians who serve other Lutheran Health Network facilities also have privileges in Dupont's Interventional Radiology Suite. Patients can rest assured, knowing that they are in good hands.
Some common procedures performed in the Dupont Hospital Interventional Radiology Suite
- Arteriography, cerebral, carotid, pelvic, pulmonary, renal, visceral, upper extremities, lower extremities, aorta
- Transcatheter treatment (above mentioned vessels) using atherectomy, angio-jet, angioplasty, stent, embolization
- IV retrieval of foreign body
- Biliary duct dilation/drain insertion
- Central venous catheter placement, Infusaport placement
- Permanent catheter placement/removal
- Fistulagrams, fistula declots, fistula angioplasty
- Abscess drainage
- IVC filter placement
- Pain management procedures, facet injections, nerve blocks, diskograms
- TIPS (Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt) evaluation, insertion, revision transhepatic biliary drain
- Nephrostomy tube placement and removal, ureteral catheter/stent placement, gastric tube placement, percutaneous cholecystostomy
- Venogramsa, adrenal, inferior vena cava, lower extremities, upper extremities, renal, superior vena cava